Random Name Generation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Random Name Generation Reply with quote

Does anyone have design documents or code examples for 'random name generation'? I was thinking of having certain in-game mobs assigned a random name. However, I dont want the name to be ugly - I want it to fit the mob race/sex.

Does anyone utilize such a system for their MUD? And if so, what advantages/disadvantages are there to the system? The main thing im looking at is the immersion level. Obviously it could make the world more immersive if the same mob wasnt being recreated after death with the same name every few minutes. But how would players relate to a specific mob if it's name constantly changed? I suppose mobs will need a title to differenciate them.

Perhaps borderline realistic names like:
Edwin the gate guard
Ularkin the orc captain
Bettrina the Gunswic citizen

I would like to avoid horrifying random names like:
Hefnikzor the Gunswic citizen
Kcbantik the toad

(To get realistic looking names, id probably have to utilize a 'name database' rather than a random name generator?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eiz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grem wrote:

(To get realistic looking names, id probably have to utilize a 'name database' rather than a random name generator?)

Define realistic. If you mean 'pronounceable', like most of the nonsensical fantasy names we've come to know and love, you can use a table of letter frequencies generated from some predefined dataset. You could use different 'seed' lists for your name generator based on the race/sex of the mob. Here's some sample code.
Teelf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some programs out there that do a good job at this sort of stuff. There is one called TableSmith that, if I am remembering the correct one, was pretty advanced. You can have it generate classes of names that sound similiar. It would generate names based on certain real languages and other fun stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ashon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to Follow up on the Tablesmith reference (Which I was going to point to) It has a large set of tables that are freely distributed that generate name. From Tolkein based names, to Modern Names by Ethniticity. They have tables based on Monster Races. The names category get's too much attention in my mind. (]Tablesmith Yahoo Group)

If you are looking for something more unique:
What's in a name article
Language Construction Kit
I also like the idea of Con-Languages (Constructed, speakable languages like Esperanto)Google: Con-Lang
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links!
Ashon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure. The one thing that I have a problem with though is in translating my Table Top world to my mud code is that without writing a custom client I can't use the scripts that I use in Table Top. Frustrating as all hell, well not really, but it's a thorn in my side. If those aren't good enough, I've got a slew of other links for you. But I figured that those would've been enough to get you going.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: