IP Tattletale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quincy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: IP Tattletale Reply with quote

I'd like to host my MUD on my home machine. I have RoadRunner, and while it's certainly not the same as having a T1 line, I figure it would do for 10 to 20 players. But I keep running into one problem posed by RoadRunner: they keep changing my IP address.
One thing I've thought of is to make it so that when the mud boots, reboots, or shuts down for executable swap (windows machine, Windows hates copyover), that the shutdown or boot could activate a batchfile. I've done this once before when I was building another mud; at the time, I couldn't figure out how to make the log files numbered from inside the mud using C code, so I built a DOS batchfile that would activate a small VB prog that could, after the mud got shut down. Basically, you started the mud by running the batchfile, and then the batchfile simply continued after shutdown.
But then there's the tricky part: Where and with what internet service do I post the new IP address (and port, which will remain the same)? I would like to also make it so that the MUD client I am also writing, will automatically look up the current IP and port, as well as create a DLL that will return IP and port as a string, for inclusion in other people's clients.
One idea I had is to temporarily open a socket and connect to DALNet IRC, to a channel I own, and to make it post the current IP and port as the channel title. If I could do that, I already know how to retrieve a channel title as a string for a client to parse out as connection info; but all I've found concerning a connection between IRC and MUDs are snips detailing how to DCC-play a mud from inside IRC. And I know how to create a socket, but does anyone know how to go about establishing a client connection to IRC from a MUD server?
I suspect such an IP "tattletale" would be very useful now that broadband is becoming common enough for virtually anyone to host their own MUD.
Yui Unifex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several dynamic dns services around that should suit your needs. These services give you a special hostname such as 'yourmud.no-ip.com', which you advertise to your players. This hostname is automatically updated when you change IPs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
quincy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops.

Heh, forgot about dynamic-static addressing. It's been so long since my days of dialup, I completely forgot that companies like Monolith even existed. Thank you for keeping me from reinventing the wheel.
Vopisk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dyndns.com

Very good site for dynamic DNS rerouting. You need a small "IP Updater" program running on your computer, but after that, all you have to do is be connected to the internet and you're set. Also, if you're running windows, you can add your mud as a "startup" item, therefore, it will automatically start up whenever windows does.

Oh yeah, and before you go hosting your own MUD on your own machine, through your own internet line. Check your T&S from your ISP to be sure that they don't mind. I was working on setting myself up as a server so I could play around with some MUD concepts without paying the big bucks server space, then I read the T&S that explicitly banned hosting MUDs through my current connection, so luckily the firewall kept me from ever getting anything posted.

It would be a shame to lose your high-speed access for doing something so innocent. Anyway, that's the end of my advice. Good luck!

Vopisk
Jaruzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add more options to the mix here...

I use http://www.TZO.com for my dynamic IP. They work perfectly. They also offer a smaller updater app, or larger one that contains a web server and other goodies (not sure what, I don't use it). I believe they have a range of domains you can use for your DNS name.

-Jar.
Tyche

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: IP Tattletale Reply with quote

quincy wrote:

Windows hates copyover

No Windows really does love copyover.
Lared

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows truly loves copyovers--the system does it for you!

Ohwait. That's a crash. Very Happy
Tyche

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No really. I'm just ornry enough to answer what's stated first rather than what is unasked.
Lared

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Newbie All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: