diku and huge numbers....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaz

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaVir wrote:
Ah yes, sorry, I misread your example code. However 'unsigned char' is still preferable to 'char' for the same reasons.

It's not defined by the C standard whether char is signed or unsigned. All platforms that I've coded for have it signed by default. GCC, however, at least has an option to make it unsigned: -funsigned-char.

In any case, it must be unsigned, or bitsets may work unpredictably with shift operators. This can be trivially observed here:

Code:

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
    char ch = -4;

printf("%d\n", ch >> 1);
}

which outputs -2, if char is signed. This indicates that the sign bit is sticky, and hasn't shifted at all.
eiz

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjartan wrote:
eiz wrote:
Any modern compiler can use strength reduction to transform them into equivalent code anyway.

It depends what CHAR_BIT is; if it's #define'd, yes, if it's "int CHAR_BIT = 8", then I think no.

I love that chunk of example code you linked to. Now that's some bit twiddling right there.

(And actually I don't know what "strength reduction" is, I'm assuming you just mean that the compiler will transform them into equivalent code. I looked it up on wikipedia and their definition didn't seem relevant, or if it is it's in some manner too subtle for me.)

I don't have my copy of the standard handy, but I'm pretty sure CHAR_BIT is defined as a macro.

The definition of strength reduction on Wikipedia is a generalized version of the same concept. Transformations like turning a multiply into a series of shifts and adds, or replacing a constant division with a shift or constant multiply by reciprocal, are sometimes referred to as "weak strength reduction." It's actually a pretty interesting problem.

(Poor Kyuss, just asked a simple question about bit vectors and look where it got him!)
sm007h

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: bitvectors and bitwise functions Reply with quote

I have always been weak at this, since I have had no formal training.

Can anyone direct me to any texts that can get me up to speed so I can actually understand what you guys were trying to do?
Tyche

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: bitvectors and bitwise functions Reply with quote

sm007h wrote:
I have always been weak at this, since I have had no formal training.

Can anyone direct me to any texts that can get me up to speed so I can actually understand what you guys were trying to do?

Bitwise Operations in C
Bit Twiddling Hacks
elanthis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It depends what CHAR_BIT is; if it's #define'd, yes, if it's "int CHAR_BIT = 8", then I think no.

It's almost definitely a macro. However, if it's defined as a 'const int' then it will still be optimized just as if you had used a macro. That is, so long as the actual definition is in the translation unit, not just the declaration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Coding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: