Listing of MUD resources and forums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somatic Apoptosis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Listing of MUD resources and forums Reply with quote

Since this place is about coding, designing, and building MUDs, I think its only appropriate we toss all of our MUD resources together (even including other forums) and make a sticky out of them. I know such a listing wouldve greatly helped me when I was new.

I will edit my own in mid day tomorow, but I am off to bed now and just have time to post this little bit.

-

-- Word List
wordlist.sourceforge.net - (contains lexical databases, including a comprehensive part of speech database)

-- MUD Community Sites
mudlab.org - (a forum for MUD design discussion)
mudconnector.com - (directory of thousands of MUDs, w/ forum)
mudmagic.com -

-- NPC's
tads.org/howto/t3actor.htm - (3 part article on NPC speech, a bit codebase specific but with general design applications)

-- General Design
skotos.net/articles/ArticlesArchive.shtml - (massive article database on many MUD-related subjects) Recommended

(edit: dragged away again, will add more later)
Osiris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Egads Reply with quote

Twisted Evil

Not that you intended any slight against any resource or individual but you left out quite a few. As a community we bemoan the proliferation of muds in tandem with a shrinking playerbase and yet here we are almost encouraging a similar process amongst forums and resource sites.

My time for the hobby is limited by RL obligations to work, family, etc. I find the more forums and sites I add a membership for, the more fragmented my participation becomes.

You might be thinking, 'All good things in moderation Geezer' and I'd agree, except when the context of the 'thing' in question is me... where you just cant ever get enough. If you don't believe that, ask Molly.

We are already spread too thin. The gaming world competition is too great. We should focus on promoting and supporting our long time sites and resources. That, and bringing new gamers into mudding. Battling the anti-noob mentality and various forms of disingenous marketing tactics are a couple of ways we can help do that.

For gods sake, don't start a new forum or mud unless there is something it contributes which is completely unique.
Tyche

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just created a couple of pages that list all the MudDiscussionSites and MudListingSites that I am aware of. Other more developer oriented categories and links are listed elsewhere there.
Tyche

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Egads Reply with quote

Osiris wrote:
Not that you intended any slight against any resource or individual but you left out quite a few. As a community we bemoan the proliferation of muds in tandem with a shrinking playerbase and yet here we are almost encouraging a similar process amongst forums and resource sites.

Those who bemoan the proliferation of muds never mean themselves or include the mud they are creating. It's also usually accompanied by a builder or coder advert (see recent posts on TMC Social Net) Wink

Proliferation is usually a sign of health. But it's also a sign of technical changes and migrations. TMC and other web forums replaced Usenet. It took a while about 4 years, 1998-2002. Heh it took me a while, to move to web forums, and some of us brought rather curious habits from usenet and mail lists to web forums.

But the next phase has been going on right now, for about a year and a half at least, content syndication from many sources. It's so very easy now for anyone to set up personalized blogging and specialized discussion sites. Specialized discussion always existed, what's new is the way it's being integrated across thousands of sites. Time to adapt again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: