The design process
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: The design process Reply with quote

Zephen_Descartes wrote:
My point is that if you can not stand people coding in a way that doesn't mirror your exact style is:

A) You're going to either have a hard search for finding quality programming help.

or

B) You're going to spend a lot of time programming on your own.

Yeah. I spent a lot of time programming on my own. Nothing new. I've entirely given up on trying to attract "quality programming help"; if people want to develop for me, I let them try and hope that eventually they'll reach a point of being useful. It happens once in a while, which is lovely. But it's a really small proportion of cases that "work out", and I certainly don't think the success rate with developers changed any because of instituting style standards.

But you basically seem to be talking in terms of trying to attract skilled programmers from public forums and such. My success rate with self-proclaimed skilled programmers coming in from "outside" is zero. They talk a big game, come in, look around, go "gosh, you've got a lot of complex code here", and flake within weeks. I care nothing for attracting them. People who are already involved in the game and love it at least stick around and have a chance of picking up what they need to in order to make some content. And if their style is unformed in the first place, they might as well have a clear document telling them what style to use.
KaVir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaos wrote:
The point was passed long ago where people writing great steaming piles of unmaintainable code became worse than if they had done nothing at all.

Zephen_Descartes wrote:
If you want help, sometimes you have to get used to the fact that some people do things differently than you.

Both of the above are valid points, and I'm not sure there's really an ideal solution. In a professional environment it's reasonable to request the developers to follow strict style guidelines, but when it's a mud developed by volunteers, people expect a certain amount of creative freedom.

When there were others working on my mud, the rule was basically this: All interface files must follow the same strict guidelines, but within your own module/s you can use your own style. If editing someone else's module, you should use their style (i.e., no mixing of styles within the same module). Interaction between modules is done through the interface files, which is why I wanted them all to be consistent with each other. Overall this seemed to work out ok, although admittedly I'm now the only person left working on the code...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Administration All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: