In-game events

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaVir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: In-game events Reply with quote

I know a lot of muds run events on out-of-game special occasions (Christmas, Halloween, etc), but has anyone tried creating events based on an in-game calendar? For example a Winterfest that runs for a couple of weeks in the middle of the mud's winter season, where stalls open in the middle of town and start selling mulled wine and special food items. Or the once-per-year celebration of an in-game historical hero, where people exchange gifts, effectively allowing you to legally bribe officials. Or an "unlucky" day (the in-game equivilent of Friday the 13th), where everyone not wearing a mask suffers a reputation penalty for flaunting tradition and/or superstition.

Other events could be tied to phases of the moon/s, eclipses, shooting stars, etc - although I think it'd be better to make such events predictable when possible, so that players can plan ahead to make sure they're online. For example, there should be a way to view the mud calendar (perhaps on the website as well as in the game), ideally showing the real-world start/end time and date of major events.

Obviously the practicality of this would also depend on the ratio of mud time to real time; if the mud runs in real-time, then you might as well coincide the in-game events with out-of-game ones. Conversely, if mud time runs really fast, it may not be practical to have yearly events at all. In my mud, mud time runs 4 times as fast as real time, which is a bit fast for one-day events but would probably work for longer ones (such as a one or two week long Winterfest).

Even if the events were mostly cosmetic, I think they could add depth and immersion to the game world. But I think it'd be more entertaining if the events also had some sort of mechanical support.
ide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, and while many muds I've played on have had a detailed month/season chart, I can't quite recall any mud having extensive in-game events based on that; probably because of a lack of coded support for the calendar, staffers had to organize the events themselves to a large degree. Of course you still have to write content for any calendar event, but with proper coded support much of the framework could be done once rather than done ad-hoc over and over.

The only mud that comes to mind that might have better support for a calendar is The Inquisition, but I haven't played there in a while and I might be mis-remembering.
KaVir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Festival of the Dead

This festival occurs once per year and lasts a week, during which time ghosts and spirits walk the streets. All citizens are expected to wear symbolically painted masks to conceal their features - partially as a sign of respect, but also to avoid drawing the attention of the spirits. Every year there are numerous injuries among those who don't wear masks, more often caused accidently by confused or curious spirits than intentionally by vengeful or malicious ones.

The festival attracts people from far and wide, and many hire the services of licenced Necromancers to try and make contact with lost friends or loved ones.
ide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fall of Night

Every 237 days, the moons of the world align themselves so perfectly as to blot out the light of the suns. For two weeks the world is pitch dark...and in that time beasts come from the depths of the earth to fight, mate, and sing across the sky. (yes, blatantly ripped from Pitch Black and ignoring most conventions of planetary motion)

The Great Potlatch

On the frozen shores of the Black Winter Lake, at the end of each year, the seven Dream Walking Tribes gather for a three week long orgy of trade, chief-electing, contests, games, storytelling, shamanic ritual, and mass dreaming. The force of their collective consciousness often tears the veil between the real world and the dream world, with lost towers out of myth springing up through the ice of the lake, and monsters out of legend burrowing out of caves nearby.
Deadsoul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this for some time, still have the calendar someplace. Players tended to enjoy this to no end, and would keep track of the time between holidays just to have everyone be able to be on when the holiday times hit.
Alayla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of my last projects on my old mud, I created a fairly complex astrology system based on the existing deities, which was even tied to the world map, where different areas were under influence of different deities. You can easily have any object or function check for the current constellation or even a player's birthsign (based on creation date) and trigger special events, either for the player, the item, a specific guild or area, or the whole mud.

I've been inactive there for a few years now, but I don't think they've ever used it for anything worthwhile. I still think it's a pity. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: