Want to help this newbie out?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
efrem

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Want to help this newbie out? Reply with quote

Hello I'm new here of course.Currently, I'm playing DBZ mud.It is really fun and I enjoy it.I want to ask,where do you get the most accurate mud bot that is simple to use?ALso,I want to ask if anyone can do me a favor and make a script that do auto typing "fish" and "reel command when there is a line that said "You feel the line tug slightly."?
If you can help me out this newbie here I really appreciated.
Please contact me at aim:efremboi83 or dragoon831@hotmail.com which is my msn sn,but I don't use it oftenly.Thank You
Vopisk

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try and say this as nicely as possible.

This is a forum for mud design and all or at least the major portion of the people who post here are administrators, builders, coders and overall MUD developers. We are the people who make the games you play and quite frankly, I feel comfortable saying, we will not assist you in what many consider "cheating".

If you want to cheat, and bot a game, or script zMUD to reflexively type something, then I suggest you do the leg work and read the help files that come with zMUD, they come with everything you need to know, at least put some effort into it for crying out loud!

And in the future, when asking these types of questions, go to a forum that is populated by players, rather than developers. We sit around and have lengthy and sometimes rather heated discussions focusing solely on dealing with "problem" players/aspects of the game that create players like yourself and countless others.

Thank you for your interest in our games, but we'd much rather you play them.

-Vopisk
Deadsoul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a bot to play a game, your not playing a game, the bot it.
KaVir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadsoul wrote:
If you need a bot to play a game, your not playing a game, the bot it.

Creating and running bots can still be a form of game (à la C-Robots), it's just unlikely to be the type of game the mud owner intended for you to play.

Some consider it the sign of a flexible mud if the players are able to find ways to entertain themselves beyond the intended gameplay provided by the designer. Of course, unintended gameplay often comes with unintended consequences, so it's usually easier for the admin to simply ban certain activities. However that doesn't make such activities inherently "wrong".
jmurph

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think the odds are that the OP will read the responses?

Anyway, as Vopisk elegantly put it, you need to check with the policies of your MUD to make sure this type of behavior is allowed. If it is, it is a simple matter to set up triggers and scripts in a variety of clients. Just check the documentation.

I am rather curious, though, as to how you greatly enjoy a game that you seem to be avoiding playing. That is, if the game is so fun, why are you trying to automate it?
KaVir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmurph wrote:
What do you think the odds are that the OP will read the responses?

Slim, but that doesn't mean we can't have a discussion about it ;)

jmurph wrote:
I am rather curious, though, as to how you greatly enjoy a game that you seem to be avoiding playing. That is, if the game is so fun, why are you trying to automate it?

In my experience, most botters tend to fall into one of three main categories:

1) Those who enjoy some aspects of the game, but not others. They want to automate the parts they don't like so that they can spend more time on the parts they do like. Think of it as the mud equivalent of a dishwasher; not everyone who enjoys cooking also enjoys doing the washing up.

2) Those who want to advance as fast as possible. They'll play every free moment they've got, but even the most dedicated player needs to eat and sleep sometimes - and that's time taken away from character training! Thus they want an automated babysitter to keep an eye on their character while they're not around.

3) Those who actually enjoy the challenge of creating bots, and view the mud as a stage for them to test their C++Robots-like skills against mobs and humans alike. Such players may not even like playing the mud in the way it was intended, but that certainly doesn't mean they're not enjoying themselves!
Deadsoul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day IF I ever put my MUD back up, I may go along with that Kavir, and put in PC robots to actively hunt down other characters in game.
Threshold

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot recall the type of mud, but I recall a type of MUD-style game where writing the best bots/scripts was really the main challenge eventually. The design of the game was such that players would "run" the game to its end, then use their point total to transfer into their next character. They would then "run" this character, pile up more points, and transfer them to the next character. I think it was called MajorMUD, but I may be misremembering.

I generally share the philosophy that "if you are running a bot, you aren't playing the game", and often wonder what the point would be. But if it was designed such that scripting was part of the challenge, that is the type of situation where bot use would be appropriate.

I have a feeling the DBZ mud the OP was playing does not share this script-friendly design philosophy, however. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Newbie All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: