Skillsets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbotom_1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Skillsets Reply with quote

I am currently in the process of implementing a new skills system based upon how the Harnmaster pen and paper rpg deals with them. I have the standard type of skills associated with classes but I'm also in the process of adding skills which the character learnt from it's upbringing and history for example skills learnt in the character's youth. I thought I'd just ask for everyones opinions on whether they like this idea and what other blocks of skills should be added.
KaVir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Harnmaster, but I recall the character creation system in the RuneQuest pen and paper RPG allowed you to specify which skills your character had learned each year up until the point s/he started adventuring. I liked the concept, although it did tend to encourage people to play older characters - if I were to implement something like that in a mud, I'd likely balance it against faster initial learning for younger characters, so that it would even out after a few hours of play.

My main concern would be with forcing the player to jump through too many hoops and make too many important decisions before they'd had the chance to familiarise themselves with the game - particularly if those decisions had a permanent impact on their character.

An alternative might be to let the player retroactively choose their background (perhaps through a series of flashback quests) after they'd had the chance to play for a while. This would greatly reduce the initial creation time (which might otherwise discourage potential players from giving your game a fair try) and would also give players the chance to decide what sort of character they want to play before forcing them to commit themselves to a specific background.
Delerak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaVir wrote:
I'm not familiar with Harnmaster, but I recall the character creation system in the RuneQuest pen and paper RPG allowed you to specify which skills your character had learned each year up until the point s/he started adventuring. I liked the concept, although it did tend to encourage people to play older characters - if I were to implement something like that in a mud, I'd likely balance it against faster initial learning for younger characters, so that it would even out after a few hours of play.

My main concern would be with forcing the player to jump through too many hoops and make too many important decisions before they'd had the chance to familiarise themselves with the game - particularly if those decisions had a permanent impact on their character.

An alternative might be to let the player retroactively choose their background (perhaps through a series of flashback quests) after they'd had the chance to play for a while. This would greatly reduce the initial creation time (which might otherwise discourage potential players from giving your game a fair try) and would also give players the chance to decide what sort of character they want to play before forcing them to commit themselves to a specific background.

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: