Where precisely is send_to_char defined?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marius2k4

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Where precisely is send_to_char defined? Reply with quote

I've been looking, and I feel rather stupid, but I'm trying to refresh myself on C, and I can't find where, for the life of me, it is defined outside of merc.h:

Quote:
void send_to_char args( ( const char *txt, CHAR_DATA *ch ) );

I see how it's parameters are set up, but I can't tell why it acts in an I/O capacity, similar to say, a printf() sort of thing. Does anyone know? I know this sounds newbie, but it looks to me like this is just a definition, with no functionality.

Thanks!
KaVir

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're looking at in the header file is the declaration. The actual definition is in comm.c (at least in Merc) - if you're using a Merc derivative it may have been moved, so do a grep for "void send_to_char".
#endgame

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what OS you're running on, but when I develop on Linux using EMACS, I find tags tables to be really useful for this sort of thing: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/html_node/etags.html
Deadsoul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In diku, send_to_char () will reference to comm.c and comm.h

As send_to_char is defined as what is being sent, so in comm.c it actually does the sending to the defined link (i.e: current connection).

So the current connection has to be in the desc_list as active and not null, it has to have something to send, as well as the target. It may even require a color if your using ascii variants.

Once it has all of this, then it structures the buf completely, then it will do a write_to_q to the &ch->desc->output.

After that, thus your message is sent.

Technically, what its doing is a cheap, and lamer version of actc, without the extra variables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Coding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: