Dual-play

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Dual-play Reply with quote

Everyone here is familiar with multiplaying -- playing more than one character of yours, either simultaneously, or nearly simultaneously.

On the same token, most people here probably are familiar with players swapping characters amongst themselves by handing out passwords to friends and so on, though this is probably much less common.

I was thinking about this today, and wondered if anyone has ever implemented something I'll call Dual-play, just to distinguish it from multi-play (a term which might suit it better).

This is where multiple players play a single character, which is the main character of a single player (who doesn't give out the password to anyone else).

What I was thinking is that you set up the mud this way -- everyone gets as many characters as they want as normal. However, every character created is dual-played, such that some functions of the character, or functions which affect the character, are controlled by other players.

So for example, you create a Dark Forest Druid and start playing him. When the character creates, another player gets an option in their Dual-play menu for this druid, with a number of commands at their disposal -- maybe they can influence what options are available (thorn magic or stone magic?), what the character is 'thinking' (which might give bonuses/penalties for getting the character into certain situations), what magical energies influence the character (buff enhancements maybe), their opinions or feelings on different NPC races and cultures (influencing trading options or aggro mobs maybe), and so on.

You could set it up such that the name of the player isn't shown, though I imagine in most muds it wouldn't be hard to figure this out so it may not be worth it. Of course there is a lot of potential for griefing here, but with proper theme (dark forces contend for character's souls?) I think it could be quite dynamic and interesting.
chaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, and seems like a natural fit for things like vampire themes where there's another consciousness struggling for dominance. (A more obscure strong fit would be the setting of Walter Jon Williams's Aristoi, where the social elite intentionally fragment their personalities in order to be able to handle superhuman responsibilities.) It seems a bit vulnerable to producing too variable a play experience depending on whether someone happens to be logged into your rider slot at the moment, though. Seems like you'd have people rerolling to try to get the 'right' person linked and such.
KaVir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, it rather reminds me of the "sitter" system in Trivian - each player can assign up to two other players to be their sitters. A sitter can log on and play your account (with limited rights), covering you while you're sleeping, working, on vacation, etc.

In the pen&paper roleplaying game "Wraith: The Oblivion", every character has a "Shadow", which is effectively a secondary personality that can sometimes take control. When this happens, another player gets to determine the actions of your character. That could also provide an interesting spin on your idea if implemented in a mud.
ide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaos wrote:
(A more obscure strong fit would be the setting of Walter Jon Williams's Aristoi, where the social elite intentionally fragment their personalities in order to be able to handle superhuman responsibilities.)

That actully seems like a separate cool idea -- multiple players playing one main character but in multiple bodies Very Happy.

Quote:
It seems a bit vulnerable to producing too variable a play experience depending on whether someone happens to be logged into your rider slot at the moment, though.

True, though I don't envision it as solely synchronous -- some of the functions might just be toggles that the other player sets to affect future play.

Quote:
Seems like you'd have people rerolling to try to get the 'right' person linked and such.

That indeed could be a problem -- in which case it might be best to introduce the shadow only after some amount of play hours has gone by, or maybe as a result of completing some special quest.

KaVir wrote:
nteresting idea, it rather reminds me of the "sitter" system in Trivian - each player can assign up to two other players to be their sitters. A sitter can log on and play your account (with limited rights), covering you while you're sleeping, working, on vacation, etc.

In the pen&paper roleplaying game "Wraith: The Oblivion", every character has a "Shadow", which is effectively a secondary personality that can sometimes take control. When this happens, another player gets to determine the actions of your character. That could also provide an interesting spin on your idea if implemented in a mud.

Travian may have an unconscious influence, since I stopped playing there some time ago, but I've always been interested in sharing/distributed/team player character systems. I really like that idea from Wraith, and framing it as a Shadow sounds perfect conceptually.
#endgame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go to an even higher level and have multiple players influencing the direction of a faction in some grand strategy game. Not sure how you'd deal with sockpuppet accounts, though.
chaos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That actully seems like a separate cool idea -- multiple players playing one main character but in multiple bodies Very Happy.

Aristoi has multiple characters in one body. One character in multiple bodies would be the Tines from Vinge's A Fire Upon The Deep. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: