PVP: Ranged & Melee solutions.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: PVP: Ranged & Melee solutions. Reply with quote

I'm trying to catch the 'arcade' feeling of PVP, fast phased, and lots of running.

My dillema:

I want too have delays on my attacks, so they can be countered/interrupted

Melee vs Ranged

One idea that came too mind is implant an 'chase' command, that follows the target for ~2 seconds then stops following and you have to pick up the chase again.

Restriction: Only one can 'chase' at a time, the others got to do it manualy, then the rest would have too run manualy after the target they are after. ( kind of like kung fu movies when the monk runs into an ally and fights off 10 people one after another )

- This solution seems abit weak, What if the target that becomes chased lures the hunters into an ambush, would need some 'stop chase' command

While chasing it would be possible to land your delayed attacks on ranged opponents without them just exiting the room as you enter.

Second solution:

Cooldowns on ranged & melee

- This would take away some of the fast phased combat, the target would need more pressure of somekind and if it would come in forms of 'afflictions', then the mud wouldnt become as simple and only reward the highly dedicated players, cause they create systems too cure.

Does anyone have any feedback that they might share on this design puzzle i'm facing?

I dont want to rely on cheesy 'stun' techniques that so many pvp muds do, in order to keep the target still to land hits. ( I will have 'knockdown/stun' techniques just not too that amount, want it too be more as a 'pressure' not hinder effect )
KaVir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you already chase people in most muds via the "follow" command? You simply type "follow bob", and then you'll automatically move whenever Bob does. The only limitation is that Bob can't move once you've engaged him in combat (unless he types "flee"), so perhaps that's where the changes would need to be made.

Perhaps "flee" could be modified so that it requires 3 seconds to perform, during which time the fleeing player doesn't get any attacks, and suffers a penalty to armour class.

You might then add a "retreat" command which works in a similar way, but requires 5 seconds to perform, and doesn't give the armour class penalty.

Certain attacks could also inflict a knockback, sending the target flying in a specific direction.

In each case the attacking player could type a command to follow their opponent, although most players would likely set it as a trigger, so perhaps it should also be a configurable option. Failing to follow within the appropriate time frame would result in combat terminating (assuming you have the standard "fight state" used by most muds).

Of course that makes it almost impossible to escape from combat, so perhaps "flee" should give the player the chance of avoiding being followed. Or maybe you could add other ways to shake off persuit, such as caltrops, banana skins, or other distractions.
Ashii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I was thinking of a 'free movement' type, where you can walk while still in combat and skills such as 'block <dir>', 'evade/escape'

So there wouldn't be a 'flee' command, cause I want too rely on this concept: Maximize your currents weapon range, so there will be people having snipre rifles, assault rifles, katanas. ( however i like the flee and effect you mentioned )

First idea was too use 'follow' for friendly use, only people that 'accepts' you following or on allies list..

But I wonder..

If I had a 'chase command', it would mean while chasing someone I could even implant 'blocking paths' while chasing, so the chaser can order one direction to block, and the runner, have to run the other way, after 2 seconds the chaser is left in the room and have too resume the chase manualy, until the ability has recovered from cooldown.

Then I could implant an Evade with a delay and cooldown, so you can time it while running through rooms too swiftly evade into an direction. Or you can stand still for ~1 seconds and go undetected into another room.

so while running around typing, s,s,s he might type evs (evade south, it has a 1 second delay) then type s,s and then it triggered the third south for evade, moving there quietly and now the chase again is on.

I dont see any problems, directly.. Hmmm...

Nice idea about a 'retreat' skill, hmm but I think that would be nice group ability addition, to be able to retreat a whole group safetly or past blockades

I could do it like guild wars, add cooldowns on all the abilites, knockdowns, crippling effects I suppose.. Hmm.. or criterias too inflict with body damage

Edit: My gut feeling tells me the chase command wont scale well in the future and is a cheap workaround
Deadsoul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Edit: My gut feeling tells me the chase command wont scale well in the future and is a cheap workaround

1st instinct is good yes.

how ever, as a creator. remember

nothing is set in stone unless you set it.
you can always work around a work around.
you can add too or take away from any idea or set of ideas until your left with a workable solution that you, and the rest of your players, will enjoy and like. it just depends on how complicated or simple you like things.

not everything you do will be prestigious at the front. but, sometimes, players down the road think its pretty damn ingenious, and will tell you about it. thats the joy of mudding (and coding).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: