Lands of Aethar converted to an HTML snapshot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valcados

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Lands of Aethar converted to an HTML snapshot Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

The Lands of Aethar, which ran from 1994 until 2009, has been shut down. I took the data files and used them to generate a frozen HTML snapshot of the MUD universe. This can be explored over any webclient; the address is: http://www.glowingfaceman.com/aethar/

I think the future of MUDs lies in more general HTTP support. Aethar doesn't *really* count because the world is frozen and "read-only", but I hope this project will be a kind of first step toward MUDs that can be played directly over port 80 Smile

-Valcados
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KaVir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting way to showcase a static game world, and could be an excellent way to handle offline building, but I think you'd need to take a different route if you wanted to provide actual gameplay - such as embedding a mud client into the website, or using FastCGI (and cookies) to generate webpages on the fly.
Delerak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great. It's like a record of a mud's areas and how they transitioned. Javascript or flash could do one even better by allowing for room echoes and other features of the virtual world to come to life in a "snapshot" of play.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Splork

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great way for the players who no longer have access to playing the game but at one time were knee deep into it, to once again enjoy its mystique.

I found myself using the wayback machine to get a similar feeling by checking out SlothMUD's webpages from over a decade ago.

Great job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: