Image-Enabled Clients and Custom Fonts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parhelion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Image-Enabled Clients and Custom Fonts Reply with quote

I was doing a bit of design work on a language that exists in one of my theoretical little fantasy worlds and it occurred to me that if I wanted some of the elements to really appear in the game (and not just as background information on the website for fans to marvel at), then I would need a way to present those elements in a client.

For example, in one of the worlds I work on, a certain written-only language plays a vital role in puzzles and other little things. Of course, I could just be lazy and scramble the letters to make it look like a giant mess of alphanumeric gobbledy-gook, but a great deal of the work I've done on this language has gone into creating its own character set and structure. I want players to have the opportunity to actually SEE this language as their character might as they play the game. There's only so much that I'd care to do with ASCII art.

I've been mulling over the usefulness in creating a custom client, and while that particular discussion is neither here nor there, I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem and solved it - either with custom clients or (preferably) protocols that work with currently existing clients. I'm not talking about adding an extra window off to the side that would pull up images - while that would be nice, and certainly is an option, I would prefer the data to actually be integrated directly into the output text of someone's client, seamlessly.

Of course, I've not forgotten about the players who use screen-readers. There would need to be a way to "turn off" images and custom nonsense fonts while simultaneously providing a safe textual alternative.

I'm really hoping to fall back on others' experiences here with similar problems and find out how they were solved.

[/i]
KaVir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the font to appear in the text window then I think a custom font would be the best option - players would need to download it from your website, but it should work for a wide range of clients, and wouldn't need any special support from the mud.

MXP does in theory allow you to embed graphics within the text, but I don't think many clients support that option, and you wouldn't be able to copy and paste it like you could regular text.
Parhelion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, KaVir. I'll look into MXP and see what sort of capabilities it might have, or see if it can give me any ideas.

I'm not worried so much about copy and paste abilities as I am about making sure the game remains fun and accessible to users with screen-readers, however.
GC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: never mind. It's not an example relevant to your specific question.

As far as I understand it, you could use an MXP tag to call up an image from a FE. Not sure how you'd do a screen reader compliant version.
Perhaps use unique names for each character?

IE: Alpha, Beta, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: