what is taboo now days in mudding?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadsoul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: what is taboo now days in mudding? Reply with quote

Question Question

what should be considered taboo, is or isnt.

how did this change us as gamers and mudders and coders.
KaVir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taboos? Hmmm I guess the big one, particularly among mud developers, would be infringing licences.

There used to be a strong taboo about using the word "you" in room descriptions, but fortunately that seems to have died down somewhat. I believe there are still building taboos about the use of emotion and such in descriptions, though, and some pretty heated disagreement about the use of generated descriptions.

Some old-school mudders and mud owners are strongly opposed to the use of graphics and sound, believing that muds should remain pure text. In the past the same general taboo also extended to the use of ANSI colour, although the emphasis has now shifted to the overuse of colour (aka "unicorn vomit"), with colour as a concept being widely accepted as a positive feature.

Among the TinyMUD community, there's a taboo about referring to their games as MUDs.

There's also some quite strong disgreement with the idea of dropping support for older clients and forcing players to use a specific custom client. I'm not sure if this is really a "taboo" though.

I suppose you could include policy issues as well - whether admin should play their own games, whether players should have rights, what degree of privacy should be expected, and so on. Once again I'm not sure if these are really taboos though, they're more like issues of contention.
Parhelion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaVir hit the nail on the head, with the biggest, ugliest taboo probably being the misuse of licenses or claiming work that isn't your own (which includes area writing). Doing this is equivelent to committing identity suicide.

I think most of the taboos in the MUDing community deal almost directly with the unwritten code of ethics, and not so much with cultural or political stigma.

For example, you will find yourself getting ugly (virtual) looks if it becomes known in the wider MUD community that you advertise your game directly to other games' players -- i.e, on their forums or game.

Another one is the development of games that are meant to be commercial. While the reception of commercial games are changing, there's still a lot of ... discomfort ... when these games are advertised along with and directly compete with free games.
Tyche

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parhelion wrote:

For example, you will find yourself getting ugly (virtual) looks if it becomes known in the wider MUD community that you advertise your game directly to other games' players -- i.e, on their forums or game.

Much less so on Mush/Mux, unless the games in question have staff that hold antipathy for each other.
You'll often see announcements for other games and events on in game boards.
Quite possibly because there's a fairly large overlap of players and staff multiple games.
KaVir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parhelion wrote:

This is true to an extent, but it does vary, as Tyche pointed out. I do occasionally discuss other muds with my players, and they mention other games to each other - sometimes other mud owners drop in for a chat as well. I've even recommended other muds to players who wanted something different.

But on the other hand I've also had new players who log on simply to advertise, usually with something along the lines of "this mud sucks, come and play my.mud 4000 instead, it's much better". Occasionally they even set up a bot to spam the address over and over, although I have a mechanism in place to deal with that now. I find this sort of behaviour really rude.

Parhelion wrote:
Another one is the development of games that are meant to be commercial. While the reception of commercial games are changing, there's still a lot of ... discomfort ... when these games are advertised along with and directly compete with free games.

You get a few people who feel that muds should always be "free", but in my experience most of the aggravation towards commercial muds in the past was due to either (1) earning money in violation of the licence, or (2) using advertising methods that people considered offensive and/or misleading.

Take a look at the commercial muds that truly are written from scratch (or have licences that allow commercial use), which don't try to obfuscate their payment systems, and which don't hurl insults at their hobbyist competitors, and I doubt you'll find any real complaints that you wouldn't also encounter if they were non-commercial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: