Ranking peculiarities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delerak

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Ranking peculiarities Reply with quote

Ranked 925 with 300+ players? Heh.

-D

Moderator's Note:
Split from Dumb question: Just what is a RPI?
This is the mud Delerak is referring to.

Also, this post borders on spam. We expect a little more commentary than 'Heh.'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tyche

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delerak wrote:
Ranked 925 with 300+ players? Heh.

-D

Unfortunately the forum isn't threaded and it's hard to determine who or what you are responding to. Could you please quote enough so we can figure out the reference.

What is ranked 925 with 300+ players? Who ranked it where and why? And what's the relevance or importance?
eiz

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyche wrote:

What is ranked 925 with 300+ players? And what's the import?

He's talking about the "RP accepted" (but not non-roleplay) mud I linked to, FurryMUCK.

Actually a lot of the largest muds put no effort into being ranked high on TMS and TMC, but that's an issue unrelated to this thread.
Delerak

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eiz wrote:
Roleplay accepted does not always mean no roleplay.

Non-roleplay = GW2. Sure, it might technically be 'accepted', but in actual fact, people will just look at you funny.

Just did a little investigating, claims 300+ players is roleplay encouraged but
it's a muck, not sure what Eiz is trying to get at here, but it looks like
a piece of shit mud to me.

-D

Moderator's Note:
Please don't write messages like the above without giving plenty of qualifications for doing so!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sandi

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delerak wrote:
it looks like a piece of shit mud to me.

I think you should give it a try before being so judgemental.

Given the nature of the RP, it might be easier if you made a female character to start.
Delerak

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can multiplay, you can't pkill? The features it lists which are about 3, alone make it a boorish, a pathetic excuse for a game, and no where near the type of entertainment I'm looking for in a text-based MU*.
Alayla

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delerak wrote:
You can multiplay, you can't pkill? The features it lists which are about 3, alone make it a boorish, a pathetic excuse for a game, and no where near the type of entertainment I'm looking for in a text-based MU*.

Different strokes for different folks. It's exactly this sort of close-minded attitude that gives the RPI camp a bad name, when you try to pass your interpretation of roleplaying as some sort of universal law. To roleplay, you don't need any game mechanics or features.
Spazmatic

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Whoa nelly, rein it in before you start a flamewar or something.

First, note that the fundamental requirement for a mud is the multiuser aspect - after all, otherwise we'd be building IF, no? Thus, the community makes the mud, and whether this community digs the orc-killing and thrives amidst heroic battles against the Gigantes, or if the community likes their furries and their huge furry world, it's all good. People are different, they like different things, and that's the beauty of it.

Some of us, even those of us in dev work on muds with heavy-handed code - some of us just like our sandbox RP.
Tyche

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eiz wrote:
Tyche wrote:

What is ranked 925 with 300+ players? And what's the import?

He's talking about the "RP accepted" (but not non-roleplay) mud I linked to, FurryMUCK.

Actually a lot of the largest muds put no effort into being ranked high on TMS and TMC, but that's an issue unrelated to this thread.

Oh I had missed the link. Of course the date on the listing is about two years before TinyMuck was written, but nonetheless it's older than any Dikumud. I've played FurryMuck briefly a long time ago. It's primarily a social mud, with role-play light and often humorous, and needless to say there's always been an awful lot of heavy petting going on, what with all the fur. It's one of the genre starters for "adult play". *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* Say no more. It isn't particularly my cup of tea.
cron0s

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyche wrote:
I've played FurryMuck briefly a long time ago.

I never had you down as a furvert Tyche...
Scandum

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People are different, they like different things, and that's the beauty of it.

People are indeed different, which also means they dislike different things, that's the beauty of it as well. The real dispute is if someone is allowed to express him/herself negatively, which in turn is a dispute about power and intollerance. Now where's the beauty in that?

I like frowning at people who try to RP on my own mud, completely in character of course. The few times I tried playing a muck I ended up being annoyed by the poor interface. This in turn made me estimate how willing I was to learn myself how to use it, which was close to zero.

Tyche was probably looking for hobbitses, an innocent hobby of his.
eiz

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyche wrote:

Oh I had missed the link. Of course the date on the listing is about two years before TinyMuck was written, but nonetheless it's older than any Dikumud. I've played FurryMuck briefly a long time ago. It's primarily a social mud, with role-play light and often humorous, and needless to say there's always been an awful lot of heavy petting going on, what with all the fur. It's one of the genre starters for "adult play". *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* Say no more. It isn't particularly my cup of tea.

Yes. I was only attempting to highlight the difference between "RP accepted" and "non-RP." It's not particularly important whether or not anyone here likes FurryMUCK (I don't even have a character there, plus furries took over our last forum which I'm still not too happy about - suffice to say that I will never look at pirates the same way again).
Tyche

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cron0s wrote:
Tyche wrote:
I've played FurryMuck briefly a long time ago.

I never had you down as a furvert Tyche...

Just as point of clarification, no.
Online 'vert'ing turns me off.
I did say it wasn't my cup o tea. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: