Threading in Text MUDs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the actual threading subject, and whether it benefits, or will benefit muds, I do actually have some relevant information.

The following is a link to a talk at the recent PDC conference by Herb Sutter, a well known author of high quality C++ books. Oh, and the chair of the ISO C++ Standards Committee.

Also, Google for "The free lunch is over".

http://microsoft.sitestream.com/PDC05/TLN/TLN309_files/Default.htm#nopreload=1&autostart=1
Lindahl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A somewhat relevant link:

http://www.mudconnector.com/discuss/discuss.cgi?mode=MSG&area=adv_code&message=10847

I also wrote a brief outline of natural logic seperations in MUDs to aid multithreading, but I'm at work right now and don't have it on me. When I get home, I'll be sure to post it.

Basically, no matter what kind of synchronization you do for multithreading, contention is expensive. Anything you can do to reduce contention is going to give you performance benefits - logic seperation being the most obvious reduction method, and geographic partitioning (as the link describes) being another powerful reduction method for MUDs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Coding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: