A matter of principles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Molly O'Hara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: A matter of principles Reply with quote

I am faced with a small dilemma, founded on principles.

Some time ago, I left the Discussion Board of TMS, after a public declaration of my reasons for the decision. I was not alone in this act, and the Forums here on Mudlab were founded as a result of a rather widely spread displeasure among the board members, mainly because of the previously banned Medievia being allowed back on the listing, but also because of the 'commercialization' of the boards.

Today a friend alerted me about a post mentioning my name on TMS, and I decided to check it out. According to the poster I am supposed to have left because of my dislike for Tyche, and because I allegedly didnít like Ďto be involved in a community associated with himí.

This is of course total bullshit. I have absolutely no quarrel with Tyche, in fact I rather like him, and have always found his posts entertaining, and usually well informed.

The TMS poster probably had no malicious motives, he may have been misinformed or simply got some names mixed up. However, it is very irritating to have words put into your mouth that are totally non-consistent with your real opinions.

On the other hand, I always found it extremely lame when people make a public show of leaving a board - or a Mud for that reason Ė only to reappear a couple of weeks or months later because they couldnít stay away. I have no intention of returning to TMS, as long as the reasons for my leaving still exist. But on the other hand I donít fancy being misquoted.

So what do I do? Should I ignore the entire thing, or should I make just one post, to set the record straight? Iíd really appreciate some input on this.
Lindahl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would attempt to contact the poster and ask him to publicly retract his false statement. Granted, this will be an ego bruising so the possibility for success is limited, but it's worth a shot and doesn't require your involvement on the forums. If this doesn't work, I'd say just forget about it - not worth the fight.
Drey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A matter of principles Reply with quote

Ask your friend to take care of it. If he or she had not mentioned it to you, you'd not have known about it and probably been happier for not knowing.
cron0s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect anyone whose opinion even remotely matters to you realises that the poster was mistaken, so I wouldn't worry about it. Within a week the thread will have died off and everyone will have forgotten. And besides, I thought nobody liked Tyche anyway... Twisted Evil
Alayla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a clarification at TMS. Hope it helps.
Molly O'Hara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ayla, it did. I'll let it rest now. Smile

And cron0s, I DO like Tyche, and I don't think I'm alone in that. He may act a bit like a troll at times, but he usually has good reasons for the flames and he also has a deep knowledge of mud related things. My theory is that he, like myself, is allergic to stupidity...
cron0s

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly O'Hara wrote:

And cron0s, I DO like Tyche, and I don't think I'm alone in that.

I was being sarcastic... Rolling Eyes
Sandi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hobbit's Anti-Defamation League has Tyche listed as an Ogre, not a Troll. Wink
Alayla

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the lesson is... Next time we'd better let it drop. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: