Controlling game economy through design
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaVir wrote:

The World of Darkness roleplaying system uses something pretty similar, and it works out quite well. I'm not sure how viable it would be for a mud, though - in a roleplaying game the GM can always step in if someone takes it too far, but the same isn't going to be the case in a mud. I can see the requests now..."anyone with wealth 5+ available to grab me a warhorse?". It'd also kill the concept of trading.

You could break down wealth into a more complex system, while trying to solve the OP's original stated goal, of removing the need to grind to earn money. The wealth Statistic could be made up of different components, Acquired Wealth, Invested Wealth, and Liquid Wealth. And then balance it with debits. An Upkeep if you will.

Acquired Wealth could be considered Writs of Credit, Loose Jewels that cannot be easily changed into liquid wealth, Pieces of Art, Livestock, Weapons and Armor, etc.

Invested Wealth would be things which are considered property, and are only transferrable through sale, regulated by ingame systems. Things like Houses, Previous Donations to Temples.

Liquid Wealth would be used as what you can use to purchase new items, donate to temples, etc.

Of course, to prevent the trading that KaVir mentioned, you'd have to have an upkeep cost associated with each type of Wealth. Acquired Wealth would have debits to keep them in working conditions, keep Livestock feed, protection of Art work. So for example if you aqcuired a horse it would add a point or two to the Acquired Wealth Debit. An house would add points to Invested Wealth Debits, and so forth. I think a system like this allows for the faucets and drains of an economy that we all seem to be searching for, while at the same time giving us the developer an elegent solution to keep the game running smoothly. As long as your Liquid Wealth Statisitic is high enough to support all your debit's you won't have items breaking down, you don't have to buy feed for your horse, etc etc.

This would limit the tradability that higher level players have with lower level players.

Quote:
I've recently been toying with the opposite extreme (as a concept - I doubt I'd ever implement it); each character earns money from various sources, and can use it to buy and sell between themselves. However the value of each item is fixed, and the only way it can be transferred between characters is by selling it. No longer could powerful players simply give cash to their friends - you'd have to earn everything yourself, or buy it using cash you'd earned from another activity.

Sounds interesting, why would you doubt implementing it? Do you think that the players would complain about it? Or do you think it would unbalance the system to more hardcore gamers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kaz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaVir wrote:

I've recently been toying with the opposite extreme (as a concept - I doubt I'd ever implement it); each character earns money from various sources, and can use it to buy and sell between themselves. However the value of each item is fixed, and the only way it can be transferred between characters is by selling it. No longer could powerful players simply give cash to their friends - you'd have to earn everything yourself, or buy it using cash you'd earned from another activity.

Personally, I think this'd really annoy players, since they wouldn't be able to just help out their friends. (Not that the effect is bad, but annoying players is generally bad).

However, in Last City, KaVir, I recall you'd implemented some kind of "boons" system. Perhaps this could be used here as an alternative currency. To "gift" something to someone, they own you some "boon" in response. These boons can then be payed off by gifting something of similar value in return, or perhaps using them to pay for a gift from someone else (thus transferring the boon to a third person).

Presumably, there would be some kind of maximum boon level before guilt just overwhelms you, or your Skank Level gets too high, or something, which would minimise the twinking you don't want, as well.
voodoospork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Presumably, there would be some kind of maximum boon level before guilt just overwhelms you, or your Skank Level gets too high, or something, which would minimise the twinking you don't want, as well.

There could be certain circumstances under which you felt the full weight of your debts and get a heinous debuff. A player holding one of your markers could probably cause this at will. It could even happen occasionally upon being struck if your total debt was past a certain threshold.

The severity of the penalty could be a function of how much you owe the one causing it and your total debt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: