Formal balancing of xp gain rates
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Virago

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shasarak wrote:
What you then do is have a leaderboard which ranks players according to the percentage of all the rooms in the MUD that they have visited at least once. Certain players will then get quite competitive about finding and visiting very single last room on the MUD to try and get up to 100% and be at the top of the explorers' leaderboard.

Love 'em or hate 'em, the Iron Realms games do this, and it seems to work pretty well in terms of ensuring people get out and see the world for the sake of the thrill of an increased exploration rank. You still see folks drifting back towards the same old levelgrinding areas once they've seen every room, killed every NPC, and solved every quest, though. Regardless, at least areas get visited at least once per hardcore globetrotting player.
Vopisk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virago wrote:
shasarak wrote:
What you then do is have a leaderboard which ranks players according to the percentage of all the rooms in the MUD that they have visited at least once. Certain players will then get quite competitive about finding and visiting very single last room on the MUD to try and get up to 100% and be at the top of the explorers' leaderboard.

Love 'em or hate 'em, the Iron Realms games do this, and it seems to work pretty well in terms of ensuring people get out and see the world for the sake of the thrill of an increased exploration rank. You still see folks drifting back towards the same old levelgrinding areas once they've seen every room, killed every NPC, and solved every quest, though. Regardless, at least areas get visited at least once per hardcore globetrotting player.

Yes, Iron Realms has a system like I touched upon at the beginning of my last post. In that, your explorer rank is a static "score" based upon how many actual rooms you have been to as a percentage of the total number of "rooms" within the world. In this manner, your score can go down at times due to additional areas being opened that you haven't had a chance to explore but that's about it.

I don't think these systems are bad, I know from some playing I once did on Iron Realms games that the explorer ranking can definitely be a motivation to go and find new areas and explore them for the sake of exploring (it's important to note that your explorer rank only gets advanced if you yourself are doing the exploring and not following a more advanced player). However, once you've been there and done that, like you said, there's little incentive to do it again.

That said, I might be thinking of a different system altogether, as it's probably true that to be an "explorer" as it were, you only need to visit a place once to say that you have been there and done that. However, I like the idea of your explorer rank degrading with time as you cease to be an explorer and start to stick to the common places (perhaps this can be a weighted average between your Maximum Exploration and Current Exploration ratings?).

Perhaps it's an idea that would give substance to all those "woodsy" archetypes that are always hanging around. If you really are a ranger, druid, tracker, field guide, or what not you need to know your wilderness backwards and forwards, not just on a been-there-once basis. This might provide alternate methods of gaining skills/rank/prestige within the guild.

*shrug* My two cents,

-Vopisk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: