Looking for player and admin feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellionb

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Looking for player and admin feedback Reply with quote

I've begun work on a new MUD recently and I have decided to do some background research before beginning crazy amounts of work. I've already decided what programming language to use and begun work on some of the major systems planning.

However, what I would ideally like to do is get some player and admin feedback about what play style everyone enjoys, preference in clients and how they fall into the consideration of whether a MUD is worth playing, and what platform the client runs on, from Windows to MacOS to Unix to Xbox 360...

SO here it goes.

1. Aside from MUD's, there exist Roleplay BBS's, PBBG's, MMORPG's, and plain old RPG's. What play format is your preference?

2. Given the opportunity to play a multi-format system (ie: MUD/BBS combo) that combines your two favorite formats, would you?

3. If you were given the option to spend real money on extra content instead of trying to raise the in-game currency, would you take advantage of it?

4. If the game admins offered a "Rewards" style membership that cost real money (ie: $10.00 per year) that gave players 10% off all in-game and web purchases using game and real currency, would you be interested in finding out more information about the system?

5. How inclined would you be to try out a client designed specifically for a new MUD, despite being able to use your favorite client to connect? How about if special options were enabled only on the MUD's unique client (ie: features that enabled you to use a clickable interface rather than typing)?

6. What OS do you currently use most often?

7a. Do you own an Xbox 360?

b. If a client were developed for use with your Xbox 360, and you could link your MUD play to your Xbox Live account, enabling cross-game invites and communication between your friends via XBL, would that be a consideration for you?

Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. I know alot of this seems kind of crazy, but I have a huge vision for the first multi-platform MUD. Since I'm a huge Xbox Live fan, I'm greatly enjoying the possibility of combining my two favorite social networks into one.
KaVir

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Aside from MUD's, there exist Roleplay BBS's, PBBG's, MMORPG's, and plain old RPG's. What play format is your preference?

I consider (multiplayer) BBS games, PBBGs, MMORPGs and online RPGs to be types of MUD. My preferred format is one that doesn't require special software to play, and isn't browser based.

Quote:
2. Given the opportunity to play a multi-format system (ie: MUD/BBS combo) that combines your two favorite formats, would you?

You mean a MUD that can be accessed via telnet as well as through a BBS? I wouldn't care, although I doubt I'd bother connecting through the BBS.

Quote:
3. If you were given the option to spend real money on extra content instead of trying to raise the in-game currency, would you take advantage of it?

You mean (for example) spending $50 on a new zone that everyone can play in? No, I wouldn't.

Quote:
4. If the game admins offered a "Rewards" style membership that cost real money (ie: $10.00 per year) that gave players 10% off all in-game and web purchases using game and real currency, would you be interested in finding out more information about the system?

I would be interested in finding out more information about the system from a mud-developer perspective, but I certainly wouldn't play such a mud.

Quote:
5. How inclined would you be to try out a client designed specifically for a new MUD, despite being able to use your favorite client to connect? How about if special options were enabled only on the MUD's unique client (ie: features that enabled you to use a clickable interface rather than typing)?

I might give it a try, if I had already played the game and decided I liked it. I wouldn't download the client before playing though, so it would have to be optional.

Quote:

Windows XP.

Quote:

No.

Quote:
b. If a client were developed for use with your Xbox 360, and you could link your MUD play to your Xbox Live account, enabling cross-game invites and communication between your friends via XBL, would that be a consideration for you?

I wouldn't play muds through a console, not even graphical muds.
Daemo

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for player and admin feedback Reply with quote

hellionb wrote:

other than MUDs i play RPGs most out of that list

hellionb wrote:
no, i dont think so.

hellionb wrote:
no
ive heard of it in WoW and EQ etc.. it just doesnt seem worth the money.

hellionb wrote:

i think id rather play the game than spend money making the game easier

hellionb wrote:

id consider it, it would really depend on the added functionality

hellionb wrote:

Windows XP

hellionb wrote:

no

hellionb wrote:

no, i dislike consoles and cant see how the change from keyboard to controler would be a benefit in any way.

i find that if i play a MUD at my computer i can do/watch many things at the same time, sitting at a console would limit this ability.
hellionb

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of introducing a MUD to a console like Xbox 360 was actually created for the players of that game community that don't necessarily spend alot of time mudding, but instead, jump between a wide variety of games. Of the games that they play, many of them are linked to Xbox Live (ie: Halo 2, Crackdown, Halo 3 Beta, Test Drive Unlimited, Gears of War, etc). By enabling the players to have access to their XBL friends list, they can then invite their friends to check out the MUD with them, or get invited to go play another game on XBL without having to leave the console. While I understand that using a computer is generally easier than a console for mudding, consoles nowadays are USB enabled and offer standalone keyboards as well as controller keyboard accessories that can be used. Of course, not everyone is going to take advantage of it, but if it's available, I'm sure someone will Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> General (Mud Related) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: