LOTR MMO ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: LOTR MMO ideas Reply with quote

Read an interesting review of the LOTR MMO (which I haven't played), it contained this interesting idea:

Quote:
Instead of proper PvP, a decision Tolkien surely wouldn't have been overjoyed with, you get the nice option of Monster Play in the rather barren Ettenmoors. Reach level ten, find a fell scrying pool (personally used a lovely one over at Thorin's Gate) and you'll get the chance to play as a level 50 orc/warg/spider (more baddies to be added soon) against high level players in a dynamic PvP campaign. It's the freeps versus the creeps.

I've always thought mob switching would be entertaining for players on a limited basis. Anyone seen this in a text mud?

Any other innovative ideas from MMOs?

The review was here.
gerund

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: LOTR MMO ideas Reply with quote

ide wrote:
Read an interesting review of the LOTR MMO (which I haven't played), it contained this interesting idea:

Quote:
Instead of proper PvP, a decision Tolkien surely wouldn't have been overjoyed with, you get the nice option of Monster Play in the rather barren Ettenmoors. Reach level ten, find a fell scrying pool (personally used a lovely one over at Thorin's Gate) and you'll get the chance to play as a level 50 orc/warg/spider (more baddies to be added soon) against high level players in a dynamic PvP campaign. It's the freeps versus the creeps.

I've always thought mob switching would be entertaining for players on a limited basis. Anyone seen this in a text mud?

I have never seen it in a text MUD.

We planned to do something very similar and I know there were other places I read about which also thought about doing things like it. It is a great idea and it is nice to see someone finally doing it.

Actually, if I think about it, it could qualify as a form of player-created content. It sounds like the LOTR MMO is worth checking out.
Tyche

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: LOTR MMO ideas Reply with quote

ide wrote:

Yes. And coincidently it's a Tolkein-based mud, Mirkwood http://mirkwoodmud.org/. Players could buy tickets at the inn and were switched into the mobiles in the Graveyard, where they could attack other players.

Mirkwood also supported a fun tribal (clan) combat system where the players could challenge another tribe in battle. A single avatar is created for each tribe which is the sum of all the tribe members stats participating and teleported to a special area. One player (typically the tribe leader) controls the avatar's movement, while all the other tribe members can execute their own special attacks and spells each combat round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: