Hit points

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Hit points Reply with quote

I don't have a lot to say at the moment, but I wanted to save this link to a fairly interesting discussion:

http://www.story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=3932&page=1#Item_0
shasarak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your link appears to be invalid.
ide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't check to see that was a members-only thread. Sorry, you'll have to register. Don't know when I'll get around to summarizing it here.
KaVir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread is primarily concerned with keeping the concept of hit points, but having them represent something other than physical wounds.

One of the main ideas is to rename hit points to 'resolve', and then modify it based on things that would strengthen or weaken your resolve. Getting hit with an axe would still lower your resolve (in the same way as with hit points) - but so would other things, such as the bad guy revealing that he's your father, seeing your friends killed or flee the scene, being intimidated, finding yourself outnumbered, etc.

Equally, your resolve might increase when the tide of battle turns your way, when your friends came to your aid, when your clan shouts its battlecry, when you realise that the bad guy has your lover held hostage, and so on. You could still have clerics 'healing' you, but it would be by chanting prayers to keep up your morale and strengthen your resolve rather than by magically closing your wounds as fast as you're being hit.

Another poster mentioned the Lord of the Rings MMORPG, and how they've replaced hit points with morale. Rather than being killed in combat, your morale is reduced until eventually you are defeated and forced to retreat. Morale isn't raised through healers and healing, but through minstrels, who restore morale through rousing speeches and songs.

It's an interesting idea, but doesn't really lend itself so well to creatures that lack resolve and/or morale - berserkers, golems, zombies, and so on.

I think I'd rather see such a system combined with a wound system, with resolve providing positive or negative combat modifiers depending on its rating. Reduce someone's resolve low enough and they'll flee or surrender. A zombie would therefore fight until it had been destroyed, and wouldn't care if you'd just killed all of its other zombie companions - but equally, it wouldn't gain any bonuses if it had you on the run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: