World scale
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shasarak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaVir wrote:
Now I'm wondering if maybe I should make a plot equal to 1 chain (66x66 feet) in size. As tiles already represent 10x10 plots, this would make them 1 square furlong in size, with 8 tiles being 1 square mile. There's a certain symmetry about that that I find rather appealing Smile

64 tiles would be one square mile - a square 8 tiles on a side.
KaVir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shasarak wrote:
64 tiles would be one square mile - a square 8 tiles on a side.

D'oh, yes, sorry - I meant 8x8 tiles.
Falco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'd love to create an 8x8 tile cube representing a square mile, it's just unfeasible if one wants to create a large world. I'm opting for two scales, with differing movement cost to represent the difference in scale between the two. One scale is used in settlements, the other outside them. So, the "Tardis effect" will occur. The difference is that walking through the town, while encompassing five times the number of rooms, will take the same amount of movement cost (and possibly delay as well) as walking around the town, even if around the town is only 3 rooms compared to the 15 within.

Of course, if you're not using rooms, you don't need to do that. But it shouldn't be an issue. You simply pick the lowest distance you wish to replicate, then work off of that measure. If you want to represent distances as small as a foot, you work off of a base of 1 foot.

It's late and I'm tired so I'm probably not seeing exactly where your problem lies. Smile

Later,

Falco
KaVir

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
While I'd love to create an 8x8 tile cube representing a square mile, it's just unfeasible if one wants to create a large world.

It really depends on your design. If you're talking about 100% hand-written content then I'd agree, but not all muds follow that approach.
Falco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaVir wrote:
Falco wrote:
While I'd love to create an 8x8 tile cube representing a square mile, it's just unfeasible if one wants to create a large world.

It really depends on your design. If you're talking about 100% hand-written content then I'd agree, but not all muds follow that approach.

True. I was speaking in terms of what I'd like to do with the MUD I'm designing, not in general. Smile

Later,

Falco
Lindahl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaVir wrote:
Falco wrote:

Well, it certainly can work that way. Just you can't have 100% hand-written original content for each tile. Consider a description per region (rather than a description per room) with points of interest located at certain tiles, altering the description as needed. I'm sure you're familiar with this approach, KaVir, knowing you're a fan (so to speak) of Nathan Yopse as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: