Increasing ROM 2.4 vnum limit, sh_int to long

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polatrite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Increasing ROM 2.4 vnum limit, sh_int to long Reply with quote

I am currently undertaking a project to increase the vnum limit for the MUD I program for. In the interests of long-term maintainability of our "custom" equipment given out through immortal events and other activities, we're in need of increasing the vnum limit. The base ROM limit is 32k, 64k (unsigned) would be helpful, but who knows if in 2 years we won't be increasing it again. Personally, I'd rather just increase it to long, 48 billion or so. Sure, it'll take up more memory, but memory on shells these days is quite cheap, and we're already severely under capacity for our package.

I'm mostly looking for anyone who has personal experience increasing the limit for this codebase, or if anyone knows of particular guides or even previous topics on this forum (I could not get search to work - kept getting DEBUG messages and errors) that could help me out.

The whole project seems like it would be a jumbled mess, the things I've identified need to be so far are:
* all the initial declarations of vnum are converted to long
* make sure all arguments for commands and functions that reference a vnum are converted to long
* ensure that command interpreting will pass those longs correctly
* modify all the functions that return a vnum to properly return a long

Anyone with any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Coding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: