Playing by different rules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Playing by different rules Reply with quote

Once again Story Games has got my rusty gearbox turning, with this thread:

http://www.story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=4441

The beginning of the thread is an actual play report, but the good stuff starts here:
Quote:

But, going further, I could see a fantasy game on the order of D&D, where each character class had totally different sets of rules. Example, character "death": The fighter does one thing (e.g., dies when he runs out of hit points), and the cleric does something else (e.g., retires when his faith falters).

So I'm wondering how this could translate to a mud?
KaVir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I played a web-based strategy game called Monarchy, in which you earned 2 turns per hour (but could save them up over a couple of days). You'd spend your turns to extend your territory, recruit troops, and attack other players, and each game would last several weeks IIRC (although often you'd die and be forced to restart).

An idea I toyed with at the time was creating a similar game that ran parallel to the mud, so that you could walk around within the mud, entering the cities of the various web-game players and interacting with the mobs. A player in the web-game might find themselves getting extra income because players in the mud were doing a lot of trade with their city, or their full-scale assault on a rival web-gamer might kill several mudders in the crossfire. The web-gamer who wanted to assassinate an opponent might find his chances of success depending on the skill of the mudder who had taken on the contract, while a powerful mud guild might even be able to break a siege against their home city.

Someone could of course play both games, but the interaction between the two would be a fun experiment. Sadly I didn't take the idea any further than discussions and basic design, but perhaps some day I'll give it another go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: