Creative punishment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaVir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Creative punishment Reply with quote

The idea of this thread is to post ideas for creative punishment commands. I'm not talking so much about deliberately cruel punishments, but rather commands which allow you to deal with those who are being deliberately destructive (for example, I'm currently having trouble with a player who's set up a trigger to greet newbies with racist insults).
KaVir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealth Silence

Normally, when you silence someone, they get sent a message - and whenever they try to chat/gossip/etc, they get told that they can't. While a reasonable player will usually accept their punishment and wait it out, such players are rarely the ones needing to be silenced. A common response is for the player in question to create a new character and carry on where they left off.

This variant, which I first saw implemented by Jobo, doesn't inform the player that they've been silenced - nor does it block them from seeing their own messages. From their perspective they still seem to be chatting away, and (unless they've got two characters online, or know you've implemented this command) they'll likely think that other players are just ignoring them.
KaVir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infectious Silence

This variant is designed to deal with individuals who keep logging on new characters to get around the silence (although it can of course be combined with Stealth Silence). The individual gains the "patient zero" flag, optionally with an expiration timestamp. Their IP address and the expiration timestamp is then added to the "silence list".

Whenever a new character is created, the mud checks their IP address against the "silence list". If a match is found, they gain the "infected" flag, and remain silenced until the expiration time has been reached. Optionally, the silence can be set to apply to all characters connecting from the IP address, or perhaps all characters under a specific level, or some other criteria. If this latter approach is used, it is recommended that some sort of "silence vaccination" flag is added, which prevents the individual from contracting the silence from someone else sharing the same IP address.

Whenever patient zero or an infected character connect to the mud, their IP address is added to the "silence list" if not there already. If the new IP address matches the first two octets of an existing IP address, the non-matching octet/s are changed to wildcards.

Once the expiration date and time has been reached, infected characters are unsilenced. Patient zero optionally remains silenced, but is no longer infectious, and his/her associated IP addresses are removed from the "silence list".
#endgame

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this:

Fake a slow drop in player numbers, until the mud looks completely empty for the offender. Make them indistinguishable from the regular quit messages and make players stop showing up on the who list, etc.

Use the contagious IP idea with this and the offender will see that there's no-one on the mud to harass.
Kelson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll find too much since most punishments are fairly effective and straight forward. They know immediately how the messed up and will tend to avoid it in the future. Of course, we're talking about griefers here so the effectiveness is nearly nil. I prefer to just have fun with them.

That being said, problematic players will either be attempting to damage the MUD itself (spammers, exploiters, account theft) or your players (kill stealers, thieves, newbie killers). Most attacks against the MUD can be best handled by blocking the player, but free muds have a hard time achieving this as they could just create new accounts from new addresses. Failed attempts to access accounts could also flag that account to (for x days) auto-stealth-lock any account they fail to log into on their first try - this should protect the other accounts from them, prevent denial of service to other players, and the attacker may never catch on (they wouldn't enter their account details wrong, after all).

Attacks against the player base must, in general, just be stopped. They can't access channels. They can't kill newbies. They can't create new characters. They can't pick up items. They can't attack/cast/heal. They can't save (best implemented with the next). They can't interact at all with the normal game world (instanced mud for them).

Punishment can also consist of long-term damage to the character. If you kill newbies, you risk having your character's hp permanently reduced. If you cheat, all your gold will be gone - maybe they can never again hold ANY gold. All equipment destroyed. In-game property destroyed.

Add some fun to the punishments though...

Stealth Poetry

Problem players don't much care if you silence them; they'll just find some way to circumvent it afterwards. One way to make this take longer is by hiding their new silence from them. Rather than simply cut off their communication from the rest of the world, replace their comments with randomly selected poetry (but show them their original comments). Sure, they'll find out sooner than pure silence, but I prefer the great humor when they begin professing their undying love to the great slime molds in the basement.

Drunken Sailor

This was actually a feature of a game I played at where drinking enough could get a player drunk and result in drunken slurs (might even be part of Godwars). Combine with stealth and some random word transposition for ever greater fun.

Negative Feedback Lag

So your problem player keeps spamming x (some skill, some comment, w/e). Every time they do it their future commands are lagged by an additional 2 seconds. Their timer for additional lag drops 1 second / minute. This can quickly lead to gigantic lag times for the person.

(I really like endgames idea of slowly emptying the mud to them - maybe combine it with actually making other players non-interactable)
KaVir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoblocker

I recently had a couple of players complaining that someone was "hacking" their characters (by which they actually meant someone had guessed their passwords). Thinking about this, I realised that many computer systems only give you three attempts to guess your password, while muds don't usually have any restrictions at all. Of course I didn't want to lock the character outright just because someone else had failed to guess the password, so instead I came up with the following:

Whenever you attempt to connect to a character and get the password wrong, the mud logs the combination of name and IP address. 10 total login failures from the same IP address, or 3 failures on the same character, and your IP address is added to the 'blocked' list. If your IP address is on the blocked list, you can only connect to characters who last connected from your current IP address.

The IP address block remains for 1 hour, but your failed login attempts for a particular character are only cleared if you successfully log on as that character - so it only takes one more failure after your block has cleared and your block will kick in for another hour.

One potential problem is players with dynamic IP addresses, as they can disconnect and reconnect freely. A possible solution would be to use domain names instead of IP addresses, and merge together failed attempts from third-level (and higher) domains (or fourth-level for things like co.uk, etc).

Equally, players could connect via a proxy. However it requires considerably more effort to try and guess passwords if you have to change proxy every 3 attempts.

I've also considered expanding this to show the failed attempts to the player when they log on - this could be as simple as "X failed login attempts" to as detailed as listing the IP addresses and/or the names of players who connect from those addresses. If I were to reveal IP addresses however, I would likely do it only for people who were blocked, so that they could be warned in advance - eg "Password incorrect for the second time. If you guess the password wrong again, Bubba will be informed that your IP address tried to connect to his character".
Deadsoul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh if someone just annoy me I would hardcore them in with isname and lettem suffer for a week or three till they begged for it to stop.

spells costing 4x mana, abilities doing 1/2 damage, movement lag, no skill gains, every mob in game aggroing them constantly.

It could be fun. needless to say, noone went out of their way to piss me off.
Threshold

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first MUDs I ever played on (Darkwind) had possibly the most hilarious and entertaining "punishment" command I have ever seen.

They called it "getting borked", and when you were afflicted with it all of your speech was transformed to make you sound like the Swedish Chef from the muppets.

The only way to cure the affliction was to get someone to kiss you. At this point, THEY contracted the ailment, and had to pass it on. I have no idea what was required to eliminate a single instance of the "borking."

It was definitely a pain to be "borked" (since you couldn't talk to anyone in a meaningful way), but it was charming and amusing enough that it rarely made anyone furious. But it did get the message across: "Hey, cut it out!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: