Fast/Small Coordinated Design

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Fast/Small Coordinated Design Reply with quote

In order too gain access too good area effects, I thought of creating a small coordinated room based engine. ( small cause I like the pace of small, fast scale.. end picture would look something like jagged alliance, grid, sectors that are linked )

x,y,z

For example if I would move 1+ in the direction on the x axis it might take me once step east, my question is this: Is there any noticeable slowdowns for doing a coordinated mud?

KaViR: I know on godwars2 you had 'running' through walls issue before, when they walked at high speed in the dungeons. You couldn't share some thoughts of how you solved that? cause I'm most likely to run into it too.
ide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to derail your thread too much, but I'm curious why you want to stay with rooms for area effects? Would it be that much different to stay roomless with a coordinate system and still use area effects? That would feel more natural to me.
Ashii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personly dont think 2D coordinated systems, is easy too grasp in fast pace, especielly if going too take advantage of tactical terrain.

The short answer for your question:
As for Room area effects vs Coordinated area effects, How would you tell if your standing out of range in a coordinated mud, if someone is sending a fireball or grenade at your ally, are you going too be hit by it?

It's tedious too calculate how far you need too take cover too not get hit. In a a coordinated mud Smile

In a room based mud, if fireball had a area of effect of 3x3x3 and my ally is standing in the next room. I could just retreat one room, knowing safetly I won't get hit.

In 2D perspective, I wouldn't get that fast overview, cause I dont have any graphic too reflect the ranges and I would have too number crunch, how long the fireball range is and how long you need to run.

Other
I belive that room based muds give a better perspective from the character thats playing, it gets personal more, where coordinated top view, gives abit more of a overhead(more stratigical point of view).

Mainly becouse room based is alot easier too grasp when playing muds, and it tend too be more fast phased movement.

I can see it work for ship too ship combat or mech fights, that usualy ends up more of a slugging match, but for quick combat. I'll pass on roomless combat.

And I like having commands such as squint north,west,south too view ahead instead of checking a radar too see all enemies.

It's a diffrent feeling Smile

My idea I would get support for topdownview aswell, but as abilities such as satallite image or similar.
KaVir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashii wrote:
For example if I would move 1+ in the direction on the x axis it might take me once step east, my question is this: Is there any noticeable slowdowns for doing a coordinated mud?

There's no simple answer, it really depends on your implementation. I found my line of sight code did add an overhead, but it wasn't too bad.

Ashii wrote:
KaViR: I know on godwars2 you had 'running' through walls issue before, when they walked at high speed in the dungeons. You couldn't share some thoughts of how you solved that? cause I'm most likely to run into it too.

I just made sure that people couldn't move further than the thickness of a wall in one go.

Ashii wrote:
As for Room area effects vs Coordinated area effects, How would you tell if your standing out of range in a coordinated mud, if someone is sending a fireball or grenade at your ally, are you going too be hit by it?

It's tedious too calculate how far you need too take cover too not get hit. In a a coordinated mud

There's no reason for the player to need to calculate that. You could inform them that the fireball is heading in their direction, and provide them with a 'dodge' command that attempts to move them out of range - it wouldn't be unrealistic for them to move a bit too far, or not far enough, depending on how successfully they dodged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: