Why we mud

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
paan



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Why we mud Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been thinking about this for quite some time now.
I am wondering what you guys thing about this thought of my.

Why do we still create mud?
Let me explain.

MUD is a very niche hobby. A big reason for this is that it's rather imposing at first, mainly because of the UI (or lack thereof). And we often hear the argument that mudder sacrifice the UI niceities for gameplay substance. Fair enough.

Now consider a typical diku mud. What if someone were to port over the whole thing and put the same gameplay in another more UI friendly environment? Say, as a facebook game. Should be easy enough. Gamplay is straight forward but we leverage the reach of facebook + and gain some UI improvement. That should attract some new blood to the game and revive the scene. At the same time old school mudders that like the game because of its gameplay /should/ still stick around because the gameplay havent changed.

Why then we don't, as a community, move forward with better UI design. I am aware of some of the effort done to 'prettify' the mud using MSDP, MXP and other similar effort. But why do we still cling on the old telnet interface?

I am not suggesting that we all do facebook games now(it was just an example off the top of my head), I am just wondering why the mud community is not trying other technology to bring the same gameplay experience to the gamers

These thoughts came from my own struggle of working with the challenge of giving the user a better way to manage some complex data, that IMHO can be represented way better if only the game is using some other UI than a telnet/mud prompt.



PS: Hope the post make sense, I have to think a few times about how to word some of the things here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
ide



Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 105
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am just wondering why the mud community is not trying other technology to bring the same gameplay experience to the gamers


I think the answer actually is very simple. There is the familiar expression 'not seeing the forest for the trees'. You can turn that around.

http://bedlam.gotdns.com:8088/facebook/index.php

http://playbedlam.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bedlam/id332137487?mt=8

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_games/brain_puzzle/netrunners-beta_dvzt.html

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/blowtorch-mud-client_njym.html

http://avenshar.com/?p=main

http://maidendesmodus.com/play/

I could go on. These are the 'trees'. In any forest there are unusual species that take some time and looking to find. I don't deny at all that these may exist only in niche environments, but is there anything wrong with that?

The challenge then is to make sure that the 'guidebooks' exist so that people know about these trees. That is a challenge, I agree, but not an impossible one. You also want to make sure these niche environments are not destroyed through neglect or ignorance, but that's a work in progress, always Smile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Author Message
KaVir



Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 565
Location: Munich

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Why we mud Reply with quote

paan wrote:
Now consider a typical diku mud. What if someone were to port over the whole thing and put the same gameplay in another more UI friendly environment? Say, as a facebook game. Should be easy enough. Gamplay is straight forward but we leverage the reach of facebook + and gain some UI improvement. That should attract some new blood to the game and revive the scene. At the same time old school mudders that like the game because of its gameplay /should/ still stick around because the gameplay havent changed.

Why then we don't, as a community, move forward with better UI design. I am aware of some of the effort done to 'prettify' the mud using MSDP, MXP and other similar effort. But why do we still cling on the old telnet interface?

You can already play muds through Facebook, with web browsers, on mobile phones, etc, and some muds have indeed designed special interfaces for them - but this is client-end development, there's no need to port the mud server itself.

paan wrote:
These thoughts came from my own struggle of working with the challenge of giving the user a better way to manage some complex data, that IMHO can be represented way better if only the game is using some other UI than a telnet/mud prompt.

With a decent mud client you can already make extensive use of graphics and sound. What exactly are you trying to represent?

This reminds me of the Look and Feel thread on the Mudlet forums. You ask why we, as a community, don't move forward with better UI design? The answer is generally down to either ignorance or apathy; most mud owners either don't know how easy it is, or they simply aren't interested in the subject.

But more and more muds are moving in this direction, and I'll think we'll see custom GUIs becoming increasingly common in the future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
BBTech Template by © 2003-04 MDesign